The new Bentley Continental GTC posted on 24 August 2011
- Bold, contemporary, sculpted design employing advanced production technology.
- Sensuous, luxurious, hand-crafted cabin with class-leading infotainment.
- Coupe-like refinement with unrivalled comfort and practicality.
- More powerful 6.0-litre W12 engine with FlexFuel capability, delivering exhilarating performance.
- Uprated chassis for a more dynamic and engaging open-top driving experience.
The second generation of Bentley’s iconic Continental GTC convertible will debut at next month’s International Automobile Exhibition (IAA) in Frankfurt.
Taking cues from its GT coupe sibling launched last year, the new Continental GTC builds on the highly successful foundation of the previous cabriolet, which premiered in 2006. Bentley’s design and engineering teams have improved virtually every aspect of the iconic convertible with an uncompromising focus on quality.
While the first Continental GTC was elegant and understated, the sharper radii and assertive stance of the new model delivers a more contemporary and muscular presence. Advanced manufacturing techniques produce aluminium front wings without the need for seams or welds creating the look and feel of a coach-built car. Twenty-inch wheels are now standard with three styles of 21-inch wheel, a first for GTC, available as an option, reinforcing the distinctive, sporting stance of the new Bentley.
The four-seater luxury convertible features a new, even more spacious and sumptuous hand-crafted cabin, with soft-touch leather hides, an extensive range of wood veneers, cool-touch metals and deep-pile carpets. There are 17 standard soft-touch leather hide colours with six colour split combinations, complemented by a range of seven veneers, all produced by Bentley’s talented craftsmen and women.
The GTC’s renowned coupe-like refinement is also enhanced. The tailored, multi-layered fabric hood is complemented by acoustic glass and under-body panels, for optimum noise isolation.
Superb everyday practicality for a luxury convertible was a hallmark of the original GTC and much valued by its customers. The cabin of the new GTC is now even more practical, with additional rear legroom, new storage solutions and innovative features such as touch-screen infotainment, automatic seat-belt presenters and a Bentley-designed Neck Warmer for comfortable roof-down motoring whatever the temperature.
A wider track, front and rear, sharper steering and retuned suspension provides a more exhilarating and class-leading drive. Bentley’s advanced all-wheel drive system features a new 40:60 rear torque bias (compared with 50:50 of the original GTC) minimising understeer during hard cornering and allowing the spirited driver to manage the car’s line and balance via precise throttle control.
This compelling dynamic package is combined with a more powerful 6.0-litre, twin-turbocharged W12 engine as well as a new QuickShift transmission enabling faster gear changes than ever before. Power output is raised from 560PS to 575PS (567bhp/423kW) and the famed Bentley ‘wave of torque’ has been increased by a further 50Nm to 700Nm (516lb ft).
“The GTC has always been the most emotional model in the Continental range and a showcase for Bentley design. With its tailored soft top, the GTC is a pure British convertible true to those classic Bentleys of the past. However, the technology, performance and overall design excellence invested in this model means that we are now writing a new chapter for the Bentley convertible driver.”
Wolfgang Dürheimer, Chairman and Chief Executive, Bentley Motors.
The Bentley Continental GTC is now available to order and first customer deliveries will begin in late 2011.
|US DOLLAR||$212,800 MSRP|
- Pounds Sterling inclusive of 20% VAT.
- Euro price does not include individual market taxation rates.
- US Dollar pricing is exclusive of individual state taxes.
THE NEW CONTINENTAL GTC – AT A GLANCE
Sculpted exterior design
- Advanced production techniques such as aluminium Super Forming (front wings) allow for a more sculpted body and sharp ‘power lines.’
- Unique jewelled headlamps with LED daytime-running lights.
- More upright matrix radiator grille and new ‘double horseshoe’ rear profile first shown on the flagship Bentley Mulsanne.
Luxurious, practical, hand-crafted cabin with class-leading infotainment
- New interior with a bold, sweeping dashboard and instrument panel finished in premium soft-touch leather.
- Choice of 17 hide colours, six colour split combinations and seven veneers.
- Distinctive ‘cobra style’ seats for added comfort and enhanced rear cabin space.
- A new touchscreen, 30GB infotainment system introduces advanced satellite navigation with dynamic route guidance, seven-digit postcode entry and Google Map compatibility (market specific).
- Audio systems feature the latest wide-frequency Balance Mode Radiator speakers as standard.
- Revolutionary Dirac Dimensions™ DSP for exceptional sound reproduction (Naim for Bentley premium audio).
More powerful 6-litre W12 engine with FlexFuel capability
- 6-litre W12 engine twin-turbocharged engine produces 575PS (567bhp/423kW) and 700Nm (516lb ft) of torque.
- FlexFuel capability – runs on E85 biofuel, petrol or any combination of the two.
- 0 – 60mph 4.5 secs (0-100 km/h 4.8 secs).
- 0 – 100mph 10.9 secs (0 – 160km/h 10.9 secs).
- Top speed 195 mph (314 km/h).
Dynamic Bentley driving experience
- ZF 6HP28 transmission with ‘Quickshift’ system that cuts shift times by up to 50% and enables double downshifts.
- New 40:60 rear-biased torque split for the all-wheel drive system reduces understeer when powering out of bends and provides for better modulation of line and attitude by ‘throttle steering.’
- Increased front and rear track improves grip and stability.
- Advanced ESC system fully exploits the potential of the more powerful W12 engine and improved chassis.
- 20” ‘Five Spoke’ alloy wheels with optional 21” wheels in ‘Five Spoke Two-Piece’, ‘Seven Spoke Elegant’ and ‘Ten Spoke Propeller’ designs.
Type: 6-litre twin-turbocharged W12
Max Power: 567bhp / 423kW / 575PS @ 6000 rev/min
Max Torque: 700Nm / 516lb/ft @ 1700 rev/min
ZF 6-speed automatic with quickshift and steering wheel-mounted paddleshift
Driveline: Continuous all-wheel drive (40:60 rear bias)
1 st . 4.17
2 nd . 2.34
3 rd . 1.52
4 th . 1.14
5 th . 0.87
6 th 0.69
Final drive: 3.526
Front: 405mm ventilated discs (optional 420mm Carbon Silicon Carbide, cross drilled)
Rear: 335mm ventilated discs (optional 356mm, Carbon Silicon Carbide, cross drilled)
WHEELS AND TYRES
9.5J x 20” (optional 9.5J x 21”)
Pirelli P Zero 275/40ZR 20 (optional 275/35 ZR21)
Type: rack & pinion, power assisted, speed-sensitive ZF servotronic
Turns lock to lock: 2.6 turns
Turning circle: 11.3m
Front: Four link double wishbones, computer controlled self-levelling air suspension, with anti roll-bar.
Rear: Trapezoidal multi-link, computer-controlled self-levelling air suspension, with anti roll-bar.
Damping : Continuous Damping Control, tuned for dynamic performance.
|Width (across body)||1943mm|
|Width (including mirrors)||2227mm|
|Fuel Tank||90 litres|
|Boot Volume||260 litres|
|Kerb Weight (EU)||2495 kg / 5501 lb|
|Gross Vehicle Weight||2900 kg / 6393 lb|
Top Speed: 195 mph (314 km/h)
0 – 60 mph: 4.5 secs (0 – 100 km/h: 4.8 secs)
0 – 100 mph: 10.9 secs (0 – 160 km/h: 10.9 secs)
30 – 50 mph: 2.0 secs (60 – 100 km/h: 2.5 secs)
50 – 70 mph: 2.4 secs (80 – 120 km/h: 3.1 secs)
|FUEL CONSUMPTION (EU Cycle) *|
|Urban||11.1 mpg (25.4 l/100km)|
|Extra Urban||24.9 mpg (11.4 l/100km)|
|Combined||17.1 mpg (16.5 l/100km)|
|CO 2 emissions||384g/km|
* Fuel consumption figures are provisional and subject to Type Approval
|FUEL CONSUMPTION (EPA Cycle) **|
|City Driving||11 mpg (US)|
|Highway Driving||19 mpg (US)|
|Combined||14 mpg (US)|
** Fuel consumption figures are provisional and subject to EPA certification.
EU 5 and US LEV 11