Brief History About Daimler
The Daimler Motor Company Limited (not Daimler AG) was founded in 1896 in London by Henry John Lawson. It all started previously when an engineer Frederick Richard Simms wanted to use Gottlieb Daimler engines and form the company. However a complicated turn of events led to Lawson eventually acquiring the company. Daimler Motor Company Ltd had difficulties from the start, despite gaining a Royal Warrant in 1902 and in 1910 was bought by Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA), who also purchased the Lanchester Motor Company.
Daimler built both small sports cars and large luxury cars and later even got involved in commercial vehicles.
In 1960, BSA sold Daimler to Jaguar Cars (1960-1966) and then Jaguar sold it to BMC (1966-1968), who then became part of British Leyland (where Daimler remained until 1984). In 1984 Jaguar once again took ownership, until Ford bought Jaguar in 1989, who mostly stopped using the Daimler name (except for a few Daimler Double Six’s and V8’s). Jaguar was then sold to Tata Motors in 2008, who’s intention was to make Daimler a luxury brand to compete with Rolls Royce and Bentley, but who had their application to register the Daimler name as a trademark in the USA rejected in 2009 and therefore have not used the name so far.