- Power increased by 10 per cent to 220hp
- ‘Torque Boost’ function raises peak torque by 40Nm to 280Nm
- Refined EDC transmission delivers up to 50 per cent faster shifts
- Larger turbo, new air intake and revised exhaust system
- Stop & Start helps to reduce emissions by 6g/km
- Lower and stiffer Trophy chassis
- Quicker steering rack
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres
- Revised sports seats with integrated head rests
- R.S. Drive system with three driving modes
- Special edition version goes on sale in the UK in the Summer
Renaultsport have unveiled a special edition version of the Clio Renaultsport at the Geneva Motor Show – the Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy EDC.
Following in the slipstream of other Trophy models such as the 2005 Clio Renaultsport 182 Trophy, the Mégane Renaultsport 265 Trophy and the current Mégane Renaultsport 275 Trophy the Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy has been finely honed by Renaultsport’s passionate engineers to add even sharper handling, improved driving characteristics and increased performance coupled with exclusivity and distinctive styling.
The Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy is due to go on sale in the summer of 2015 and will offer a number of enhancements including increased power and torque with Stop & Start technology and reduced CO2emissions. A refined EDC transmission, quicker steering, a lower and stiffer chassis and upgraded tyres will make Renault’s hot hatch even hotter.
220 TROPHY: A CLIO RENAULTSPORT THAT’S EVEN MORE POTENT IN EVERY AREA
Thanks to revised engine mapping, the 220 Trophy now has 10 per cent more power and up to an extra 40Nm of torque. It also benefits from a larger turbo, an air intake designed to minimise pressure losses and a revised exhaust system to accommodate the latest Euro6 catalytic converter (and minimise back pressure losses).
- Maximum power has been increased to 220hp at 6,250rpm (up 20hp)
- Maximum torque rises to 260Nm (a gain of 20Nm)
- ‘Torque Boost’ feature in fourth and fifth gears raises peak torque to 280Nm (a gain of 40Nm)
- Maximum revs increase from 6,500rpm to 6,800rpm
- Complying with Euro6 emissions standards, the car’s CO2 output improves by 6g/km to 138g/km and also drops down a VED band
Refined EDC transmission
- Gear shifts are now up to 40 per cent faster in ‘Normal’ and ‘Sport’ modes and 50 per cent faster in ‘Race’ mode thanks to software recalibration
- 30 per cent reduction in steering wheel paddle travel for more immediate changes
- Earlier downshifts, for example under heavy braking on track, are permitted by optimised software calibration and the raised rev limit
- ‘Sport’ mode is now more flexible with gearshift change patterns more reactive to current driving style
- A Stop & Start system works in ‘Normal’ mode but is deactivated in ‘Sport’ and ‘Race’ modes.
Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy retains the R.S. Drive system that allows one powertrain to have three different behaviours: Normal, Sport and Race. R.S. Drive also adds Launch Control and the ability to perform multiple down shifts at once by keeping the paddle held. Race mode is fully manual only, has the fastest shift times, no ‘creep’ function and will not change up or down without intervention.
A lower, stiffer Trophy chassis
The Clio is lower by 20mm at the front, 10mm at the rear. Firmer shock absorbers, and revised springs (40 per cent stiffer at the rear), have been fitted and are coupled to the existing motorsport-derived hydraulic bump stops.
A new, faster rack (with ratio reduced from 14.5:1 to 13.2:1) makes steering even more precise and incredibly direct – the best system on the market.
The Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy EDC is fitted with high-performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport 205/40R18 rubber.
IMMEDIATELY RECOGNISABLE…AND SEDUCTIVE
A sporting stance
- Frost White, a new and distinctive Renault i.d. matt body colour with a gloss black roof and rear spoiler, has been added to the range alongside Glacier White, Diamond Black, Flame Red and Liquid Yellow
- 18-inch ‘Radical’ wheels with black inserts and diamond-effect facings
- ‘Trophy’ badging on the front blade, door mouldings and individually-numbered door sills
Equipment tailored to enthusiasts
- Embossed leather steering wheel
- ‘Trophy’ interior pack: Heated leather sports seats with integral head rests, plus carbon-look air-vent surrounds, door handles and gear lever base plate. The air-vent inserts are now in satin chrome rather than anodised red.
- Optional Renaultsport Monitor on-board telemetry system. Potent and fun, its many features include a setting that gives the driver five different levels of throttle pedal sensitivity.
The Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy EDC is a numbered special edition that provides value for money in performance terms. It is aimed at the most demanding customers, such as track-day enthusiasts and those who appreciate the cutting-edge manner of Renaultsport’s unrivalled expertise.
The Clio Renaultsport 220 Trophy EDC will first go on sale in Europe, from June 2015, before being released in 10 other markets.
Further details, including UK specification and pricing, will be made available closer to launch.