The media day showcased what was planned for this year’s festival, with a taste of some of the world’s most delicious and diverse motorsport cars to be seen in one place, along with well known personalities in the industry, including Freddie Hunt being interviewed by Murray Walker.
Other attendees included several touring car legends such as Steve Soper, Jeff Allam and Patrick Watts and ‘For The Love Of Cars’ duo Philip Glenister and Ant Anstead, as well as Lewis Hamilton’s brother Nic Hamilton, all supporting the event.
The Silverstone Classic is coming up for its 26th annual festival and is looking to hold its biggest festival by far this year with a record number of cars, events and hopefully visitors (over 100,000 visitors attended last year’s Silver Jubilee event).
Also this year for the first time they are partnering with a charity and for the next three years will be supporting Prostate Cancer UK as their Official Charity Partner with former England international footballer Luther Blissett as its ambassador.
Silverstone Classic Festival 2016
With so much going on, here is a brief summary of most (not all) that this year’s festival has to offer:
- Attending will be over 120 car clubs many of whom will be celebrating iconic car anniversaries, including the 50th anniversary of the Lamborghini Miura.
- Over 1000 race cars, bikes and sidecars, many with legendary drivers/riders will take to the track with qualifying probably on Friday and racing on Saturday and/or Sunday with action from various motorsporting events including:
- A Can-Am Championship Celebration
- FIA Masters Historic Formula One Championship
- Maserati Trophy Hgpca Pre-1966 Grand Prix Cars
- Legends of Modern Formula One Celebration
- Historic Formula Junior racing
- International Trophy for pre-1966 GT cars
- Royal Automobile Club Tourist Trophy For Historic Cars (Pre-63 GT)
- 90s Endurance Legends
- Group C Racing Series
- FIA Masters Historic Sports Car Championship
- Pre-1961 Sports Cars of Motor Racing Legends’ Stirling Moss Trophy
- Motor Racing Legends’ Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy
- JET Super Touring Car Trophy (1990-2000)
- Historic Touring Car Challenge (1967-1989)
- Big-Engined Touring Cars (Pre ’66)
- Under 2-Litre Touring Cars (Pre ’66)
- Motorcycle racing – including World GP Bike Legends
- Sidecar Racing
- and various track parades, including (Lamborghini, Viper and Westfield)
- There will also be a celebration of James Hunt’s 40th anniversary of his Formula 1 World Championship win in 1976, with his son Freddie Hunt behind the wheel of his father’s winning McLaren-Ford M23.
- Silverstone Auctions will be there with cars and automobilia.
- Silverstone’s ‘Rocking and Racing’ will be providing live music from The Boomtown Rats, The Stranglers, Reef and numerous tribute bands.
- There will be family events and activities including a vintage funfair, extreme rides, passenger ride experiences, a retrorun rally, crazy golf, hot rod drag strip, shopping village with 150 exhibitors, Aerial displays with various Aerobatics teams and more, the Scarf & Goggles country pub and a celebration of the 1966 World Cup with a car football match and much more.
- There will also be celebrities, motorsport racing legends/commentators and automotive TV hosts/presenters. Mike Brewer will be there with the live Range Rover restoration.
Well there you have it, a quick taster of the events that this year’s Silverstone Classic has on offer and whether you are a petrol head or just looking for a fab day out, then you can’t get much better than a visit to this prestigious extravaganza.
Ticket and further details can be found on the official website: www.SilverstoneClassic.com
Oh and a big thanks to Bruce Chambers for a ride around the Silverstone track in his amazing Elvin Courier MK4T.