- The ultimate non-turbo tuning package from Mazda performance specialists BBR
- The package incorporates bespoke 42mm shaftless AT power individual throttle bodies but retains the OEM Mazda ECU
- Produces a dyno proven 225 bhp @ 7900 rpm and 175 lb.ft at 4500 rpm
- OEM Mazda idle characteristics and electronic safety features are retained
- Can be retro fitted as complete package or as add-on upgrade for existing BBR Super 200 customers
- Priced from £3690.00 excluding VAT
Following the huge success of its ‘Super 200’ upgrade package for the 2005 onwards 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 Mk3 / 3.5 / 3.75, renowned Mazda performance specialist BBR has unveiled the ultimate normally aspirated tuning conversion for the soon-to-be-end-of-life’d NC models of the world’s most popular sportscar.
Called the BBR ‘Super 225’ this exciting new upgrade is the culmination of many months of in-house mechanical, electronic and chassis development by the Brackley firm’s technicians, which was driven by challenging performance, noise and value for money criteria.
Available as a complete package for a drive in, drive out installation onto the stock 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5, or as a retro fit onto BBR Super 200 equipped cars, the new BBR Super 225 is described by BBR’s Neil Mckay as “the ultimate normally aspirated parting gift for the hugely successful NC model.”
The complete BBR Super 225 upgrade for the 2.0i Mazda Mk3 / 3.5 and 3.75 MX-5 (NC) models consists of the following components:-
- BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
- BBR high performance intake and exhaust camshafts
- BBR 3.5 inch diameter branded tailpipes with stainless steel clamps
- BBR badges for front wings and bootlid
- Drive by wire controlled direct to head shaftless AT Power individual throttle bodies
- Bespoke AT Power / BBR curved inlet extensions
- CNC machined 20mm alloy inlet ram pipes
- MAP block assembly (enabling OEM Mazda MAP sensor installation)
- Ramair foam air filter (Optional BBR airbox and replacement OEM intake for trackday use)
- BBR Engine breather system
“Compared to our hugely successful 260-380bhp turbocharger conversions for the MX-5 normally aspirated tuning can seem relatively expensive,” says BBR’s Neil Mckay. “Therefore target power figures aside, our primary objective with the Super 225 program was to retain as much of the original Mazda electronics system as possible, to cap costs at a realistic level for our enthusiast market and avoid the need for a motorsport style engine management system,” he continues.
BBR’s decision to retain the stock ECU but recalibrate the key parameters using it’s well proven StarChip software suite also enables the retention of Mazda’s critical safety features such as traction control, whilst providing excellent idle stabilisation and allowing remote servicing by any Mazda agent worldwide.
The end results for the BBR Super 225 package are an impressive 224.9 bhp at 7900 rpm, a stunning gain of 67 bhp over the stock 2.0-litre MX-5’s 158 bhp output. But the peak power figure tells only half the story of the BBR 225’s driving experience, because over 150 bhp is available all the way from 4500 rpm to the 8000 rpm rev limiter, highlighting the flexible nature of the conversion.
Similarly, the BBR 225 delivers a significant increase in torque output. The peak figure leaps to 175 lb.ft at 4500 rpm, some 28 lb.ft higher than the stock Mazda MX-5, with more than 150 lb.ft available from 3200 rpm to the 8000 rpm limiter, making the BBR Super 225 both faster and easier to drive.
Careful development by BBR has ensured that the Super 225 package is fully UK MOT emissions compliant and will run on either 98 or 95 octane fuel, while an available optional BBR airbox and replacement OEM intake (£200.00) is aimed at discrete clients and track day users to ensure noise limit compliance.
Priced at £3490.00 for a DIY option, or £4295.00 for a drive-in, drive-out installation, the BBR Super 225 is available now. Owners of BBR Super 200 converted cars can migrate to this new level of performance for just £2495 fitted.
The Super 225’s BBR/AT Power independent throttle body package hardware is also available in isolation for any Mazda MX-5 NC engine, priced from just £1730.00 excluding VAT. For those seeking even greater normally aspirated power please contact BBR for details of their 2.0-litre, 2.3-litre or 2.5-litre high compression forged engine builds.
All quoted prices exclude VAT.
CONTACT: BBR GTi Tel: + 44 (0) 1280 700700 www.bbrgti.com