- Turn signal indicators located in hood vents – a heritage cue from the 1967 Ford Mustang – return as standard equipment for 2016 Ford Mustang GT
- Exclusive California Special Package for Mustang GT Premium available this fall; Pony Package available for Mustang EcoBoost® Premium by year’s end
- 2016 Mustang GT convertible will be available with the Performance Package
For the 2016 model year, Mustang fastback and convertible welcome the return of the iconic California Special Package and Pony Package —two iconic Mustang trim levels made popular in the 1960s. Several other new options, including new stripes and wheels, allow owners to make their pony car as individual as they are.
Fans have been clamoring for the return of hood vent-integrated turn signals for years, and in a nod to heritage Ford is honoring the request, bringing back the popular feature as standard equipment for owners of the 2016 Mustang GT. First offered on the 1967 Mustang, secondary indicators in the hood vents would come to represent an iconic piece of pony car DNA. Now, this segment-exclusive feature will serve as an additional “heads-up” for Mustang GT drivers.
“Mustang enthusiasts are not shy about telling us what they want,” said Melanie Banker, Mustang marketing manager, “and we’re constantly exploring ideas together with our engineering team to develop new features we know our customers will love. These new hood vent indicators for the GT model are a perfect example of us communicating customer feedback to Mustang engineers and the team responding with an exclusive new feature for owners of the 2016 Mustang GT.”
New stripes, wheels, trims allow for greater personalization
Several new packages and options will be available for 2016 Mustang GT and Mustang EcoBoost® when the cars arrive in dealerships in the third quarter of 2015. Returning to the sixth-generation Mustang are over-the-top racing stripes direct from the factory. Offered in black or silver, the stripes are available on most color and trim packages.
Last seen on the Boss 302, a painted black roof option is now available for the EcoBoost-equipped Mustang and Mustang GT.
Exclusive to Mustang EcoBoost Premium is a fresh take on the Pony Package. With unique 19-inch polished aluminum wheels, tri-bar pony logo on the grille, side stripe and chrome window surround, the fastback Mustang with Pony Package is sure to stand out from the crowd when it arrives in late 2015.
For customers after a stealthier look, Mustang GT will offer a Black Accent Package this fall. Fastback and convertible Mustang GT models with this package will showcase special 19-inch black-painted alloy wheels, black decklid spoiler, dark taillamp trim, and 5.0 and pony logos in black.
Mustang GT Premium owners can order the California Special Package with a host of features including:
- 19-inch ebony-painted machined aluminum wheels
- Ebony leather/Miko suede seat inserts with red contrast stitching and embossed logo
- Unique door panel inserts and premium carpet featuring red contrast stitching
- Unique aluminum dashboard finish with California Special badge
- Hood and side stripes
- Black pedestal spoiler
- Unique faux gas cap
- Strut tower brace with unique California Special badging
- Dark taillamp accents
- Black-painted mirrors, hood vents
- Performance front splitter
- Unique grille with tri-bar pony logo
Mustang drop-top aims for tip-top performance
Now, just like owners of the fastback model, customers of Mustang GT convertible equipped with manual transmission can order a Performance Package for 2016. Featuring increased structural bracing, as well as revised suspension components, brakes, wheels and tires, Mustang GT convertible equipped with Performance Package will be a force to be reckoned with – both on back roads and at the track. Features include:
- Unique chassis tuning, with strut tower brace and K-brace
- Larger radiator
- Revised suspension with upsized rear sway bar, heavy-duty front springs
- Six-piston Brembo front brake calipers
- 19×9-inch front, 19×9.5-inch rear ebony-painted aluminum wheels with summer tires
- Unique tuning for stability control, ABS and electric power-assisted steering
- Torsen® limited-slip differential with 3.73 axle ratio
- Engine-turned aluminum instrument panel with auxiliary gauges
- More aggressive front splitter; rear spoiler delete
“Ford Mustang GT fastback with Performance Package has been very popular,” said Banker. “Customer feedback indicated a strong desire for the package on the convertible model as well, and the 2016 Mustang GT delivers.”
SYNC 3 links driver and Mustang more closely than ever
SYNC® 3, Ford’s next-generation communications and entertainment system, is coming for Mustang equipped with Premium Package for 2016. With a faster, more intuitive, easier than ever to use interface, improved voice command and AppLink™ functionality, SYNC 3 now features the ability to update system software via any unlocked Wi-Fi network – bringing Mustang owners closer to their car than ever before.